Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Sofie's Leads

Sew What?

Lead 1: Descriptive
    I watch as my mother sits on the ground, pinning a pattern to a piece of shiny blue fabric. She is making me a Halloween costume, as she has for many years past. This is a dying tradition in countless families in the United States. Most costumes that come to one’s door on Halloween are bought from specialty stores and catalogues that pop up a month before for their biggest profit of the year.

Lead 2: Rhetorical Question
    When was the last time you made something functional for you to wear? The answer for most is ages ago or never.

Lead 3: Compare and Contrast
    Many years ago, there was no other way to get clothes other than sewing them yourself or, if you were rich, hiring someone to do so. Today, almost no one does this at all. Near everything we wear is store-bought and most of that is imported.

5 comments:

  1. We think that the first one is the best one you have. The third one would also be good, depending on where you going with the story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the third one the best; I think the compare/contrast angle is good. But I also like the personal feeling of the first lead. :)

    ~KG

    ReplyDelete
  3. The first on is the best. Its very compelling and brings a sense of nostalgia.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd agree that the first one is the best one. It tells a story, and appeals to peoples sentimentality (did I spell that right?).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like the first one, too. I think you could elaborate on the first couple of sentences so that it creates more of a twist within your description when you show how this tradition isn't the norm anymore.

    ReplyDelete