Friday, March 11, 2011

Dollfie?

When I tell people that I bought a six-hundred thirty-six dollar collectible doll. I often get responses such as, “Are you crazy?”, “Not in, like, a weird way, right?” or simply “What’s the point?” However, if I told this to someone in Japan, I would more likely get a response like, “Oh, a Super Dollfie.” Super Dollfie are dolls that come in a variety of sizes, male and female, with replaceable parts, like hair, eyes, and hands. They look lifelike, but with a slight anime style (as pictured below). There is actually a pretty giant community in the United States, the largest english online community has over 10000 active users, as of 2011. It’s a fairly time consuming hobby, I spent an hour replacing the hot glue on the eyes with eye putty made specifically for the purpose, but now I can change my doll’s eye color and direction with ease. I also make my doll’s clothes from scratch, because I can’t afford the premade clothes. It may be strange, but in the end it’s what I enjoy doing. --Sofie

1 comment:

  1. You BOUGHT one? Now I must SEEE it. SEEEE the fancy, super-expensive doll. Because after hearing about it for three-ish years... Must see.

    --IBI

    ReplyDelete