Friday, March 18, 2011

Ramen

Most people are familiar with the instant Maruchan ramen, which makes up most of the diet of college students and lazy people. However, authentic ramen is much more than a block of bland noodles in a brightly-colored package. Ramen is a Japanese dish consisting of Chinese-style wheat noodles in a meat, fish, or vegetable broth with various vegetables or types of meat. This dish varies from locality to locality in Japan.
Recently, on my trip to New York with the LASA quiz bowl team, I tried real ramen for the first time. Upon entering the crowded, club-like restaurant Totto Ramen, I ordered a bowl of spicy vegetable ramen and awaited my meal. I was surprised with a large bowl of noodles, vegetable broth, seaweed, and colorful Japanese vegetables, complete with a small ramekin of spicy oil to flavor the soup. The ramen was fresh, vivid, and made an instant impression on my mouth. The noodles and vegetables were firm and perfectly cooked. It made a nutritious and delectable dinner.
The only drawback to ramen is that there are very few authentic places in America, let alone Austin. The best ramen is to be found in bigger cities, where the Asian population is bigger. If you ever find yourself in New York, though, stop by Totto Ramen. It will be well worth your time.

This is the inside of Totto Ramen. It's even better late at night.
Thank the Colombia Culinary Society for this photo.

Delicious ramen....not mine, though.
Thanks to VillageBlog for this photo.


9 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That sounds really good! I wish there were more places like that in the U.S. I would totally be all over that =)

    Kathy Hutton

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just recently was talking with someone about how I never intended on ever having Ramen, because there was almost nothing in it. Then I read the first couple of sentences, and saw the word "meat" and you instantly had my attention. If I was offered a chance to eat Ramen with meat, I might actually consider eating it.

    -Matthew M

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very interesting. Ramen is awesome, but the pictures made the article overall pretty effective. fo real.
    -RAD

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you it tastes a lot better than the artificial packaged soup bases that are int the instant ramen and it is definitely a lot healthier.
    Christy N

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's good that you went to a real ramen place. I REALLY want to do this. but the picture of the ramen looked kinda like pink glop.
    FELIX!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ramen is pretty awesome, I'm used to the "artificial" ramen so I would like to try some of that ramen you were talking about!
    Although I do have to agree with Felix about the picture though...

    ReplyDelete
  8. So from what I've read I can't really tell the difference between Ramen and just normal noodles. Do they just mean the same thing with different names or are they two completely different dishes? Anyway, Ramen seems to be pretty good assuming it isn't the same thing as noodles...

    - Daniel C

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ramen ramen ramen nom nom nom. Delicious. I guess.

    Now we ought to find proper ramen in Austin. Or Dallas. Or Houston. Or San Antonio. But preferably Austin or San Antonio because Dallas and Houston are nasty.

    --IBI

    ReplyDelete