Thursday, March 24, 2011

Red Velvet Cake: A Recipe Review

Note: This is the Epicurious photo, not mine.....My cake was not this pretty...




Recently I made red velvet cake for a couple of friends who had done something kind for me. The cake was generally well-liked. The texture of the cake was just right, and it wasn't too sweet. The only thing I found about the cake was that it was too dry. My ideas for fixing this problem range from adding more buttermilk or butter to cooking the cake for less time. I'll probably just figure it out through trial and error. Any ideas on this?

The icing also worked especially well. It was delightfully thick and the cream cheese was accented nicely.  The secret to making the icing is to add sugar in half-cup portions to make sure that the cream cheese is not overwhelmed by the sugar. I found the best amount to be two cups, but the recipe recommended two and a half, so I suppose it's all a matter of taste. The other thing I might recommend is making sure that all of the lumps of the cream cheese were out, which was something I had trouble with. I made the icing by hand without the use of a mixing machine, but perhaps that was not the best idea. Somebody try this for me, would you?

Overall, this was a really good recipe that balanced flavors nicely and complemented textures well. --Ariel

Cake
  • 2 1/4 cups sifted cake flour (sifted, then measured)
  • 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • 1 tablespoon red food coloring
  • 1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 2 large eggs

Frosting
  • 2 8-ounce packages cream cheese, room temperature
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar

  • 3 1/2-pint baskets fresh raspberries
  • 3 1/2-pint baskets fresh blueberries

2 comments:

  1. I love velvet cake it's one of my favorites, my dad usually makes them. I tried making it once, but I didn't get the frosting right.
    Christy N.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, that cake looks good. I made red velvet cupcakes once and they were delicious.

    ~KG

    ReplyDelete